Monday, February 22, 2010

Hair

*I wasn't slack yesterday... I just had problems with Blogger. So here is yesterday's post and I'll update again after the kiddos are sleeping tonight. Keep up the good work! ...

Today was a long day to say the least. I won't get into the details, but suffice it to say it was long and trying. The kids were great but my dog had some medical issues, blah blah blah. Anyway, at the end of a long day I was bathing the kids and they both started begging for a hair cut. So it was hair cut night. As I cut Lindsay's red curls I thought about her hair falling out from chemo. And I thought about Vinny and something his mom said about him losing his teeth. And I thought how lucky I am to be able to cut my kids' hair.

So tonight is about hair. The first is free. Totally absolutely free. But you have to have long hair. Yes, I'm suggesting you donate your hair to Locks of Love. It's important to point out that most of the people who benefit from this have alopecia rather than cancer. Still, some of the recipients of wigs are kids who have permanent hair loss due to their cancer or cancer treatment.

If your hair isn't long enough to donate, the second idea is also absolutely free. And you can have short or long hair. But you won't have much for long! I'm asking you to shave your head. St. Baldrick's is an organization that raises money solely for pediatric cancer research. You shave your head and get donors. The organization has a website and you can get your donations online - it's as simple as sending out an email. I'm considering doing this next fall at the event in Winston-Salem, but there are other events in the short term. Yes, this is a tremendous sacrifice to ask you to make, especially if you are a woman. But such a bold statement not only raises money. It also raises awareness with every person you meet.

Think about it!

Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment